SouthTennBlog: In The Trenches This Week
My Photo
Name:
Location: Huntsville, Alabama, United States

Married to the lovely and gracious Tanya. Two Sons: Levi and Aaron. One Basset Hound: Holly.

Saturday, September 10, 2005

In The Trenches This Week

The next few posts will be a bit of a departure from my usual "style," as the Lincoln County Fair has started, and I have decided to spend the next few days providing a bit of a journal of the goings-on as the wife and I man the booth and interact with the fair-going public. Hope you enjoy.

JLH


Friday, September 9, 2005 - Day 1


Things are mostly quiet today as this is the “setup” day for most attractions and exhibits. I arrive mid-afternoon to find that the lovely and gracious Tanya has already gotten most of the booth together. Later in the day, our Vice-Chair, J.D. Hall brings by additional materials and, by the end of the evening, the booth has fairly well taken shape.

The only real fireworks came as we were getting ready to leave. One local man affiliated with a prominent Fayetteville business stopped by the booth and took little time in getting to a personal attack on President Bush as “the most crooked man we’ve had in a long time.” Now, it’s not in my nature to pick a fight, but if a man goes to the Republican booth, knowing it’s the Republican booth, and begins to attack President Bush, who is really picking the fight anyway?

Anyway, my defense was quite simple. I asked the man to provide me with evidence that our president is a crook. His response was to accuse Dubyah of stealing the election in Florida. But the careful observer will note that this is just another accusation, so I asked him for proof of that, while at the same time pointing out that every re-count scenario that various media outlets conducted following the inauguration had George Bush winning the election. This time, he had no response, other than to say, “It was in the papers back then, but I can’t go back and get it now.” I then pointed out that an internet search could provide him with the proof he needed to convince me, if it existed.

At this point, my opponent took a popular tactic for liberals who realize they are losing a debate – he tried to change the subject, saying that people like me didn’t like Bill Clinton when he was in office, so what’s the difference? The difference, I pointed out, is that people like me didn’t make false accusations about Bill Clinton for which there was no evidence – as he had just done to President Bush.

(Personal friends of mine can attest to the fact that I went out of my way to give President Clinton the benefit of the doubt for as long as I possibly could, much to their frustration, before I finally concluded that he was no longer worth defending. I did this at the time because I knew it was only fair, and that the day would come when a Republican was in office, and someone like this man would come along saying this about Republicans .)

For his part, his contention was that Bill Clinton was a better president, due to the prosperity the country enjoyed in the nineties, but he had little response when I asked him what Bill Clinton did to bring the prosperity about. Again, little to no response – other than to change the subject again – this time to Mike Brown’s “resume problems” at FEMA. When I asked him how this proved George Bush is a crook, silence.

By this time, the gentleman (term loosely applied) was walking away, continuing to insist on his original premise – that he had never bothered to even try to document. As he left, I made one last offer for him to return at some point and provide me with a single bit of proof for a single accusation he had made. But I’m not holding my breath.

I suppose the greatest lesson to be learned from all this is that winning a debate with a liberal is easy, as long as you remember to make them prove their assertions with facts, and don’t allow them to get away with changing the subject without addressing their original claim. Not once did this man provide me with anything specific, anything concrete, anything factually established. You see, facts don’t often support them.

Man, I need me a radio show. Anyway, it’s gonna be a fun week.

Saturday, September 10, 2005 - Day 2

Burned a lot of daylight this morning – sleeping until 8! It’s been a long time since I was in bed that late – but it felt gooooooooooooooooood.

Anyway, after dropping off the lovely and gracious Tanya at the fair, I had to go to the Cingular store to get a problem corrected that had developed with the cell phone we had gotten for the local GOP (the number is 931-625-1886). I was able to finally make it to the booth by 11. We would be here until 5, when we would be relieved by two of our great Young Republicans – John Ponder and Daryl Luna.

No fireworks today. The only extended conversations I’ve gotten into have been with loyal Republicans, although there is a sense of worry among them for the fate of the party next year in light of recent difficulties. I just remind them that problems always arise, and that it’s still quite a while until election day. Problems come and go, and it’s to be expected that the party in charge is going to get the heat – whether it’s justified or not. This too shall pass.

One encouraging development is the interest being shown in the Fair Tax info we have out for distribution. Ben Cunningham of Tennessee Tax Revolt and James Baird of Americans for Fair Taxation were at our last monthly meeting of the local GOP, and left us with some material. People are interested, and seem supportive. This thing can happen if the public learns about it great enough numbers.

One slightly troubling development is the number of Harold Ford for Senate stickers we’re seeing being distributed at the Democrat Booth. Turns out, he’s in town today. I had contacted GOP candidates for the Senate requesting campaign materials, and personal appearances, for this year’s fair more than once, but we’ve received nothing so far. Our principal materials are leftover “W still the President” stickers and stickers that the local party purchased that say “Vote GOP 2006.” So, if any Van Hilleary or Ed Bryant operatives read this, you may want to take note.


As it turns out, our two great Young Republicans, Daryl and John, have arrived early, allowing me the time to go home and get this posted before we go to meet a friend for supper (that's what we call the evening meal in the sticks in Southern Tennessee).

More tomorrow, when we'll be working the late shift.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home